05 December 2022

Sol Solaris Solara

Nauka W Polsce

Update 6 December 2022: Please read note at bottom of post, thank you!

This is just me, musing out loud.

Our beautiful Sun is widely known to be masculine in nature. Almost every reference to our Sun that I've come across is masculine, with the names "Sol" or "Solaris" being used.

I've tried ~ very hard, for a long time ~ to also consider our Sun as masculine. But I just can't. I simply cannot.

No matter how hard I try, our Sun is feminine to me. Well, to be more precise, more feminine than masculine. I call our Sun "Solara".

At the start of this post, I wrote that "almost every reference" is masculine. Because so far, there's only one other person that I'm aware of that has considered our Sun as feminine, and that is Sheldan Nidle, many years ago in one of his webinars. When I heard him say that, I had a mini-celebration because finally someone else shares my feeling ๐Ÿ˜ even though we are in the woeful minority. Well, even more minor than minority but never mind.

Rightly or wrongly, this is how I feel and I am more than happy to be corrected๐Ÿ˜„

Namarie! ๐Ÿ’™ 

 
Note:
I just heard from someone (thank you, B!) that in Germany, our Sun is known as Die Sonne, which is a feminine noun ๐Ÿ˜Š

The Solar Tally So Far....

EarthSky At this time of writing, we've had 25 X-class Solar Flares since this phenomenal year of 2024 commenced. Out of those 25, eight...