29 February 2024

Solar Speak


As usual, I do my best using my phone camera to freeze-frame what I "see" when I look at our Sun or Sky....usually unsuccessfully. The above photo was taken on 27 February when I felt nudged to look out my window at our Sun. 

What I "saw" was exactly what I had been feeling on my skin for some days ~ a sort of "crackling". Our Sun looked as if she was sparking energy bolts, and my skin felt like static energy was crackling off it. Well, obviously this isn't evident on the photo, but I thought I'd still post it all the same in the spirit of what I was sensing.

Since this post is going to be Sun-related, I thought I would also mention a personal anecdote. I was pulling out some songs to place in a playlist, and halfway through I realised I had ~ without planning ~ selected five songs with "Sun" in the title, or in the name of the artiste:

*Invisible Sun ~ The Police
*Always the Sun ~ The Stranglers
*The Sun Always Shines On TV ~ A-Ha
*Alive ~ Empire of the Sun
*Here Comes the Sun ~ Beatles

....and another had the word "Sol" in the title ~ Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel.

This made me curious enough to do a search in my music file to see what else was Sun-related, and found these:

*Let In the Sun ~ Take That
*Sunset Love ~ Joe Sumner (father Sting was in The Police with Invisible Sun)
*Following the Sun ~ Enigma
*Give It Up ~ KC & The Sunshine Band
*Here's Where the Story Ends ~ The Sundays
*Amaroo Sunrise ~ Nigel Holton
*Sunkotou Njiima ~ Sousou & Maher Cissoko
*Bali Sunrise ~ Mind Over Matter
*African Sunset ~ Brad White & Pierre Grill
 
....and an entire album titled Sunflower by Ulla Van Daelen.

 

Back to this post 😄

After all that excitement over the recent trio of X-class Flares, here we are now with those reverse-spikes, occurring at 24-hour intervals.

Laboratory of X-ray Astronomy of the Sun

The last time we had that was in Sep-Oct 2023 (here), and most interestingly exactly two years ago in 2022 (here), and in previous years as far back as I can remember.

I also note that this recent reverse-spike/heart-beat session started on 27 February, just a few hours I took the photo of our Sun.

And look at the SR chart, all sorts of things going on there juxtaposed against the recent blackouts:

Space Observing System

 

This Month of May....

Just ten days into this manic monumental month of May and we've already been blasted with 11 X-class flares, along with several high M-...