26 January 2022

Asteroid 7482 1994 PC1

Science Focus

This is just a quick documentation of something I saw some days ago. Although I do not have additional information, I'm recording it here for future referencing.

I actually saw this vision more than a week ago, but have been unable to post about it until now as I have been rather preoccupied with family matters.

It was quite a surprise because one of the last things I would expect to see is a comet streaking across my inner vision horizon. Of course I went to check the news to see if a comet was coming around our Solar System neighbourhood, and found this from Science Focus:

The 1km-wide asteroid (7482) 1994 PC1 will make its closest approach to Earth at 9:51pm UTC this evening (18 January).

But don’t worry if the film Don’t Look Up has got you all twitchy about the possibility of a catastrophic collision with our planet: 1994 PC1 will safely pass at a distance of 1,982,172km (1,231,664 miles). That’s about five times the distance from Earth to the Moon.

So, not a comet but an asteroid. 

Here's more about the asteroid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(7482)_1994_PC1

Namaste and Bright Blessings! 💚

The Solar Tally So Far....

EarthSky At this time of writing, we've had 25 X-class Solar Flares since this phenomenal year of 2024 commenced. Out of those 25, eight...